The Process of Preparing:
This past month was a full month! It’s so easy for time to slip away between language school and doing internet research on Latino immigrants in Europe. We have made progress and are finalizing the population information we have found. My supervisor has told Brook and me that the information we compile about Latino immigrants will be what the IMB uses to determine where they need to send more personnel to reach Latinos! When he told us that, I was amazed that I get to be a part of this. I get to help prepare the way! It’s a humbling thought as well.
This month Brook and I will be creating interview formats for one on one conversations with immigrants. From these interviews we hope to discover the level of evangelization of Latinos. This is essential in knowing how we can best share the gospel and how many of the immigrants are plugging into evangelical churches here. Please pray that we determine the right questions to ask and that when we actually begin the interviews, we can begin sharing the gospel as well.
This month of language school was a definite help for me. I’m not exactly sure what language study will look like for me this month, but I’m working on finding a language partner. Hopefully this can be someone I can meet with and practice my Spanish. Conversation is the most helpful when learning a language. I am beginning to memorize key Bible verses in Spanish that will allow me to share the gospel. Specifically I’m working on John 3:16 and the verses used in the Roman’s Road. I get excited thinking that one day I’ll get to share these.
A lot of the work going on now is preparation. I prepare research; I prepare language; I prepare interview formats. Others on my team are doing a lot of preparation as well. By doing preparation it’s easy to get restless and ready to see people come to Christ. I’m learning what it means to wait on the Lord and what it means to be Trailblazer. Those who blaze the trail may not get to reap the harvest, but no matter when the harvest occurs it will be a beautiful one that shows the glory of the Father.
A Change in Plans
One of the things the IMB emphasized at training was the importance of being flexible. Flexibility most definitely explains the team I’m on! Between waiting on visas, car accidents, visa rejections, and inability to obtain proper visas things change! Timelines change and locations change.
Jim and Lori Spikes, who originally were supposed to be arriving in Barcelona, have been waiting on their visa for months only to find that Lori’s was denied. The reason for the denial wasn’t really a good reason. Now they are heading to London and already have their visas! We all keep saying that the Lord must want them in London instead of in Barcelona. So now with the Spikes location changed, the Woodson’s location change, and the Halls already being assigned to London, we have quite a team there! Pray that doors will open up for them as they move to London and begin making contacts.
An exciting opportunity coming up this Sunday is that a group from the U.S. is going to give a concert at a park here in Madrid. Ecuadorians gather in this particular park (Casa de Campo) on the weekends. We are hoping that people are drawn to the music and that they’ll stay and listen to the testimonies that are scheduled in between songs. Pray that people will be able to listen to the music and testimonies because other bands are playing during this time.
Physical Progress Update: Planning on visiting a doctor soon for follow up on my legs. Still having muscular pain and going to see if they have any suggestions of ways I can alleviate that. God reminds me to be thankful for my location and that my job allows me to continue to heal physically.
PRAYER REQUESTS
That I find a language partner
Legs– for swelling to go down/ no pain
Concert at Ecuadorian gathering in the park-this Sunday
That I find a doctor (preferably that speaks English!)
Praises!
Internet Research is being compiled and organized (YIPEE!)
The Spikes will be going to London soon!
Please let me know how to pray for you!
Lots of love,
Taryn
love you tblockey and your updates are great... thanks so much for keeping us informed! miss you praying for you!!!!!
ReplyDeleteKate Morgan