In light of recent events, it's fair to say the majority of the Hot Springs community is grieving over a huge loss of four individuals. We just never know why these things happen, and our hearts hurt and cry out to the Father. We want answers, and we want to try to understand, but nothing this side of heaven consoles us... except one thing. This one thing is the promise of eternal life if we believe in Jesus Christ.
I think a lot of this really hits home with me because in a lot of ways, I feel as though I have cheated death not once in my life, but twice. Two major car accidents, and it doesn't make sense why the Lord still has me here. But He does have me here, and I refuse to miss out on letting Him use me for his glory because I'm not the one who cheated death. I don't know why some are spared and why others aren't. I won't even begin to try to answer that because I believe only our Father knows. In many ways, until the recent deaths of some individuals, it has made me face the reality of the despair that death brings into our lives. Since I never had to think about myself "not making it" during my recent accident, the severity of what occurred has only recently started registering with me.
Why does death hurt so badly? Why has God allowed for death to still be around us? I don't know the answers, but I do know that we follow a God who can relate to our sufferings. I think sometimes for me a Bible verse that consoles me is the shortest verse in the Bible, "Jesus wept." (John 11:35) Jesus wept over the death of his friend Lazarus. Why would Jesus weep? Didn't he already know that he would raise Lazarus from the dead? All we do know is that he displayed this emotion at that time, and the people around him commented on how much Jesus loved Lazarus. Even our Creator understands the sting of death. Jesus Christ cried as he faced the death of his dear friend. He understands.
Some people could argue that it was no big deal because Christ raised Lazarus from the dead later on, but I would argue against that. Death is a huge deal. Even though believers have assurance that this world is not it, that eternity exists, death still stings and hurts.
At one point after the accident I had jokingly been saying "Yeah, and I almost died!" not realizing the weight of my comment. Brook, my teammate who was in the accident with me, came to me to discuss this. As we held hands she asked me to stop saying this because to her, the idea of me dying had been such a reality to her in those moments when I was unresponsive. I took in what Brook said to me. Then replied back to her that because all of us have to face death, this is the VERY REASON why we are going to tell people about Christ. This is the VERY REASON why it is essential that I share Christ with those I am around now. I am confident in the word of God and confident that one day believers will be able to claim 1 Corinthians 15:55-56. We will be able to claim this not only because of the hope we have, but because we will be together in eternity living finally what we have always hoped for and the gift that God has given through Christ.
We will shout out, "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" (1 Corinthians 15:55-56) And then we will continue our praises to the Father who redeemed us from this death. Our hearts yearn for this day, and we will see it.
Following Him,
Taryn
No comments:
Post a Comment