Monday, August 16, 2010

Suffering at the Beach for Jesus

First trip for work!
Alameda Bridge- there used to be a river that ran through Valencia, but it would flood the city. The river has been redirected and the river bed is now a big green area that runs through the city.

Valencia supposedly is the origin of Paella- a Spanish dish with rice and different types of meats or seafood
Valencia's metro is ALOT slower than Madrid's

Valencia's beach
Bull ring and train Station


When a pregnant woman in Valencia speaks English to you and tells you to go to an evangelical church that her mom goes to, you go. After a crazy day last Tuesday of getting off to the airport (a team members purse was stolen AND at the airport the check in counter wouldn't let Brook use her Spain ID card to check in, even though the website said you could, so Nolen had to go back to our apartment and get her passport), we finally arrived in Valencia. The flight was short, but as soon as we stepped outside we could feel the humidity. The weather is actually very similar to Florida, since Valencia is on the east coast of Spain.

We got to our hotel, and then decided to scope out one of the neighborhoods we had researched. This barrio (neighborhood) has a reported high population of Latin Americans living there, so Brook and I walked around for awhile. We walked into a vegetable and fruit stand and asked if anyone knew of a Latino restaurant in the area. Before we knew it we were outside with several people speaking English to us trying to give us directions. It was a very bizarre moment because many Spaniards do not speak English. It was also bizarre because we were surround by Spaniards, Latinos, and Indians. A pregnant woman, Lorena, walking by heard our English and stopped to help.

We told Lorena who we were and what we were doing in Valencia, researching the realities of Latin American immigrants lives in this city. Once we explained our desire to learn more about the immigrants here, she told us about her mother's church in Valencia that does alot of work helping people. She further explained that she no longer goes to church because she's a "naughty girl" but that if we go to this church the people there would help us out. AND this entire conversation was in English because Lorena had spent 5 years in Australia. What a blessing! Brook and I have been so nervous about our Spanish, and here on the first night God brought someone to us who could communicate perfectly with us. It started to rain, so we head back to the hotel after saying good bye and thanking her for her help. Pray she returns to the Lord and realizes that Christ came for the "naughty" people of this world.

The rest of the first week we've visited consulates and tried to visit other organizations that specifically work with immigrants here. We've had alot of hits and misses. You have a map in your hand and finally find your way to the location only to find sometimes that the organization has moved or no longer exist. Or you find that no one is willing to help you. A lot of time is spent walking around and engaging in conversations where you can. This can be going to a highly Latino populated barrio and visiting a cafe asking for advice or information or it can be spending some time praying that someone will help you or give you the needed information. Ultimately our goal in being here in Valencia is to know how Latinos here are being reached with the Gospel.
Yesterday we went to the church that Lorena told us about. As we entered we were welcomed and then an American man walked up to us and asked us if we spoke English. We come to find out that Chris and his wife, Anita, are missionaries in Valencia with another Christian organization! We tell them a little bit about why we are here, and they graciously open up their home to us for an after church meal. We spent an amazing time talking about the ministry here they serve with (Mision Urbana) and how this ministry reaches out to immigrants who move to Valencia. It was such a blessing because once again the language barrier was taken down and we were able to pick their brains a little big about the immigrant situation in Valencia and receptiveness to the Gospel.

Today Brook and I went seeking out more organizations, some of which are closed for August (even vacation cities are apparently closed during August) or have moved locations. Tomorrow we are going to Mision Urbano to hopefully learn more about how Latin Americans are being helped through this, and Wednesday we have a meeting with a pastor (who also speaks English!). God is opening up doors for us and little by little we are learning more about the barriers and bridges that exist here for the Gospel. We even had a great talk with a man from Ecuador today. He was very open to us in sharing his experience and the motives in why he is here in Spain.

As we blaze a trail in Valencia, I pray that we leave lights of truth along the way. I pray that we build healthy relationships and that Brook and I are accepted by those who we are asking questions to. Pray for our time tomorrow and Wednesday. Pray that we learn more about the realities of immigrants and that we know bridges to sharing the gospel. I rest assured that the Spirit has already gone before us (I mean, obviously, with us meeting so many English speakers!). Pray that Brook and I are tuned in with the Holy Spirit and that we continue to have opportunities to share truth. Some good and exciting news is one day on the metro there were 3 people from Colombia around my age. The girl had a Bible in her hand, so I was able to talk to her for awhile. There are people seeking the Lord here. Pray that they seek and find the Truth that we are here to share.

Health: My health is doing fairly well. Something kind of crazy is that I recently had an allergic reaction to ibuprofen (I have red welps from head to toe). I had another reaction to a medicine at the beginning of July (slow, difficulty breathing and well as severe dizziness), so I think I'm allergic to anti-inflammatory medications. This is a bummer because ibuprofen had been helping me manage my pain, so now I'm back to using a stronger medicine. Walking is a daily challenge and my joints and muscles still ache, and I can't go all day long like I wish I could. Also with the amount of walking, I'm slowing down. All that to say, I am doing okay, and I can feel the prayers. Please keep praying because Brook and I'll be here in Valencia until September 1st. I cannot tell you how much your encouragement blesses me. Sorry if that was a scattered update, but I wanted to let y'all in on the work being done right now! Oh and from the title, you probably figured that Valencia is on the coast. Yes there's a beach, and yes Brook and I have visited it. I know, I know, suffering for Jesus is tough :)

A lot of love from Spain,
Taryn

No comments:

Post a Comment