Sunday, November 7, 2010

November Update


Puppet show in a park– Gary and Julie Clifton have mobilized some Latino believers to use this as a way to share the Gospel at parks where Latinos gather- their little boy, Matthew, sticks out a little!


Two Angels

Brook and I met Y, an Ecuadorian immigrant from Madrid, in the metro in Valencia back in August. She was there with her husband and daughter visiting a friend because her world was falling apart. Little did I know when I struck up a conversation with her, that God was using me as a messenger.

We exchanged numbers but were not able to meet up until October because of her work schedule. I knew she must’ve been desperate for friends if she was willing to meet up with and English speaker who could barely understand her over the phone (phone conversations are the worst for language!). She kept saying she just needed someone to talk to.

Finally we found a time to meet up. Brook and Carmen went with me. The huge blessing about Carmen is that her first language is Spanish and her and her husband are the church planting part of the team in Madrid. They’ve been doing ministry for about 50 years, so they know what they are doing!

Y shared with us all of the things that are going on in her life… her and her husband are separated because he is with another woman, and she has no friends here. She said that things were really bad when she was in Valencia, but that Brook and I were like two angels that day when we met her. She said she later asked her friend if she thought we’d actually call her when we were back in Madrid, and her friend told her yes.

Y has started coming to a woman’s Bible study at Pablo and Carmen’s, and she seems so hungry for the truth. Pray for her. Pray that if there’s any hope that God will repair her marriage. Pray for her little girl G who’s 5 years old.

As I help blaze the trail, it’s encouraging to see that God is using me. His Spirit is at work here in Spain, so please keep the prayers coming for the work going on!

Our Excess

I’m fairly certain with how the economy has been the last few years that everyone is feeling the effects. Saving has dropped down and things are tighter than usual.
With the difficult time financially all have suffered and the number of missionaries being sent to the nations has also dropped. The reality seems to be in front of me anytime I have meetings. I hear how the IMB is being even more strategic with where they send people. Some ministries have had to drastically change and other ministries suffer because the work cannot get done with fewer personnel.

I would challenge you with the Lottie Moon Christmas offering coming up to consider your excess. You may not have any excess, but God doesn’t call us to give out of our excess. He calls us to give sacrificially. Sacrifice hurts. It costs us something. I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately because this completely applies to me as well.

Am I willing to give to the point where it hurts a little? Am I willing to sacrifice my “wants” so that the nations can hear the most important words about life? Am I willing to ask God how much he wants me to give and trust that no matter the amount, he will provide?

These things lay heavy on my heart as I reflect on how blessed I am to be here part of this work. I’m here because of you and your giving. The IMB didn’t send me. You did. Thank you!

Prayer Requests
Continued healing for legs– stairs are finally getting easier!
Continued research on Germany and Italy– hopefully a trip will be made there in the coming months (January or February)
Bible study group that has begun at the Pachalian’s house (Pablo and Carmen)
For friends Brook and I’ve made for my physical therapist who I spend an hour with everyday– that she responds to Truth

Praises
Continued therapy
Brook had a successful trip and London! We were glad to see each other after 5 weeks apart!
Y’s open heart to God’s word

Please let me know your prayer requests or say hello!
Send me pics of family or grandkids– let me know your holiday plans. I just like being connected to home :)


In Him,
Taryn

No comments:

Post a Comment