During my time at training, we have been assigned to groups that we meet with on a regular basis. These groups consist of 10-15 individuals. This is also the group I meet with for church. Many places around the world this is what a house church looks like. Especially in areas where the gospel is not supposed to be preached, people MUST meet secretly to study God's word. Oh and did I mention, there's not a designated building?
I have always loved church, and I have grown up in church. I love my church home, and I miss it when I'm away. That being said I will add that I have also been so blessed by this house church experience. There are people of all ages in it, and some house churches have multiple children (which from what I hear makes a very interesting Sunday morning!) House church has been refreshing and a place where I feel like I can be transparent with other believers. How many of us feel that way at our home churches that are filled with hundreds of people? I know that this is the reason for Sunday school classes, Bible studies, and cell groups, but have we overcomplicated church?
There is such a beauty and showing up each week alternating who's leading and allowing for the Spirit to move. Sometimes it's a more emotional day for some, and sometimes people have been led to share. I feel like we take this liberty away from ourselves when we go to church and don't allow ourselves to be seen as we are. I know there have been times where I have chosen to not be transparent and vulnerable. Sometimes it's because I don't want to be. The simplicity of house church through all of these aspects has opened my heart to realizing the areas where I need to work on being a stronger part of the body of Christ. It also challenges me that as I go into the world, it is not necessary for me to model to new believers that they must have an order of worship each Sunday. In some parts of the world these house churches meet daily, working together as a family and as the body of Christ.
I know this is a very different concept from what we experience in the States, but it's an interesting thing to follow throughout the New Testament. It has been an amazing experience, and I feel blessed to be with those in this little church that we make up. Simple worship of our Father. No matter where we worship it has to be about him, but like I said, isn't this simple? I hope everyone at some point gets to have an experience like this.
I am traveling to Houston the 20th of November for my visa application. Please pray that it goes well. Also check out my team's blog. The link on the left side should say Spain Prayer Update. One of the couple's arrived in Madrid today, so please pray that they settle down easily!
Y'all are such an encouragement!
Taryn
No comments:
Post a Comment