Friday, December 18, 2009

Laugh So You Don't Cry

I can't even believe that this Sunday is has been a month since the wreck. It's strange to still have injuries that have to heal, but God has been faithful. Some good news is that my tailbone stopped hurting a little over a week ago, and this coming Wednesday we are unwiring my jaws (YAY), but still no chewing. Also my dad spoke with my orthopedic doctor here, and he said that my legs are looking great. He also said that I'll be able to start putting pressure on them... which means I'm a step (literally) closer to walking again! I went to the eye doctor the other day too, and he said everything with my vision is good. Such blessings to know that my body is healing as it should. Please specifically pray that my teeth remain healthy since it's difficult to clean them. I just really hope that nothing has compromised my mouth's health.

This entire event in my life has been very difficult at times for all of us, but God has been good in that He gives us humor in the midst of it all. My mom keeps saying that we sometimes just laugh so we don't cry. And it's so true. I thought because of this I would share some of the funny things that have happened. I'll also share some blessings that we experienced and those moments that are just special. (Warning- some of these things I have no memory of)

-As I was being placed on the helicopter to be taken to the hospital, I felt the need to try to hug everyone that was helping (my love language is physical touch, and an instance where I don't remember this at all)

-Mom has asked me to lick my lips before when food got on my mouth, and I sweetly reminded her that my mouth is wired shut and that means my tongue can't get out either.

-I have to give myself 2 shots a day, and I passed that responsibility onto my mom. The first shot she gave me, she did quickly and correctly. Afterwards she said, "That was my first time to give someone a shot." We laughed.

-The entire point of having my mom give me shots was so I would no longer anticipate it. I had to start reminding my mom to not count aloud (even if it was a whisper). I told her how it defeated the goal of not anticipating the shot. We laughed.

-While I was at training, all of the children were all of the sudden extremely interested in me. Many of the parents would tell me I made it to their children's' night time prayers each night. How special is that?

-One day I had to use the restroom, so afterwards I flushed the toilet. Only problem was that this toilet was known for how the handle sticks, thus leading to an overflow. As I saw this happening I yelled for my mom saying, "GET ME OUT!" (I mean I'm in a wheel chair!) Mom didn't appreciate my concern for myself, and she ended up having to clean up the water that did overflowed everywhere. We laughed.

-Many times during meals people would ask what I'd like to eat... once again I remind them that my mouth is wired shut.

-I love right before bedtime when my parents pray over me. It's almost like I'm a child all over again.

- It's strange how much I have in common with senior citizens and newborns: liquids only, potty chair (oh the fun), limited talking, tons of medicine, parents checking me in the middle of the night, a hospital bed, large amounts of sleep, wheel chair (which has been compared to a stroller), in one day seeing 3 doctors. That does it for now.

-For the first time in my life my legs are thin. For all you women out there, you know how this feels like a miracle. I'll take it despite the trauma that I had to go through to achieve this (only because I didn't have the choice).

-At my commissioning I felt like a rock star in a funny way. All these people I didn't know were coming up to me asking me how I was and telling me they had been praying. A blessing, and also I just felt popular for a little bit. I mean how many times do you encounter a crowd who knows who you are? That's what I'm saying... rock star status.

-While looking at new pictures one day I just started laughing and my mom asked why. I then went on to explain that it struck me funny to look at a picture and realize that I'm in a wheelchair. We laughed... you just had to be there.

-Also at my commissioning the president and vice president of the IMB came up to me and told me they had been praying. Now I would NEVER do this, but since they already said they had been praying I gave them my prayer cards. Just keeping my name circulating with the big dogs! (just kidding)

-I have been given so many prayer scarves. It blesses me to know that there have been several people who don't even know me that have prayed over me while making these.

-I have been informed that I've made it onto several churches' prayer lists. I say tell more people so they can pray!

-When you go through something like this, it's overwhelming how many people support you and pray for you. I know that people literally all over the world are praying for me. That in and of itself means everything. How awesome to be lifted up by all of you. I am truly thankful.

Even though it's been a month I love how you guys are still faithful to think of me and lift me up to our Father. Please let me know how y'all are. Even if I don't know you and you've stumbled upon my blog say hello! I would love to hear from you.

In Him who carries us in our weakest times,

Taryn

3 comments:

  1. this is one of my all time favorite entries! loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Taryn! You crack me up! I could hear you saying all of this as I was reading and it made me smile. (laugh at times!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. TARYN!!! I am so encouraged by your blog and your heart through all of this in your life! You are definately prayed for at the Brown's! Sure love you and appreciate how you have spurred me on! janna

    ReplyDelete