Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Just One

One day during training, one of my friends came up to me and said, "How many are you hoping for?" Considering I had no clue what he was talking about, my thoughts went to pets, children, and many more random things. Puzzled, I looked at him as he clarified, "I mean how many people are you hoping become believers while you're overseas?"

His question just about knocked me over. I hadn't even really thought about how many people I wanted to come to know Christ during my time overseas. I know in general as people we love to brag about numbers. If every Latin American in Europe became a Christian in the next two years that I'm there, I would be so excited, but counting numbers before this question hadn't really occurred to me. Something else I hadn't thought too hard about was that Spain is an open country where people can be any religion they want. The persecution doesn't exist for becoming a Christian, so that's not the hurdle to jump over with this people group I'll be working with. However, where my friend is now is a closed country. It can be dangerous to become a Christian. You can lose everything if you become a Christian, and people seriously count the costs to become a believer where he is. Now, maybe you have a little more insight into the question he was really asking me.

He looked at me again and said, "I'm really hoping for just one come to know Christ." Just one! I was a little shocked by his answer, but I knew that it very well might be a correct estimate. Now, he can correct me if I'm wrong, but I know that he considers just one person worth his entire 2 years as a Journeyman. I think though, what if I signed up for my job, and they guaranteed that just one person would come to know the Lord during my 2 years overseas. I would do it, but that's a hard thought to swallow. I know that in my friend's heart, he desires to see so many more come to know our Lord, but he recognizes the mountains before him in the country where he's now living. He knew a few months ago when he asked me that question that to see just one person come to faith would be an awesome thing to behold.

Ever since that day I've been praying for that "just one" for my friend. Despite the work that I'll be doing among Latin Americans in Europe I can't get out of my head the "just one." The "just one" that lives in a country where being a Christian could one day mean losing his or her life. Please pray for the "just one." Pray that my friend has success in sharing the freedom we have in Jesus Christ. Pray that hearts are changed despite where people live in the world and what it will cost them to follow the Lord. Pray for people all over the world who are in these countries where the Christians are few, and the gospel is hard to come by. Lift up my friend, and the work he'll be doing. Ask the Lord to allow him to see more than "just one" come to Christ.

I believe in an awesome God who works in the most difficult places on this earth. Thank you to my friends around the world that are going to the difficult places. I love you dearly and you are in my prayers.

Taryn

3 comments:

  1. Praying that the "just one" has a strong, unshakable faith, that radiates and multipies into many more faithful followers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. a few years ago, i don't know if I would have said I would go for just one. but now, its not only worth it, but that one person seems so real to me, it would break my heart to know I wouldn't have that brother or sister in Christ if we weren't going! praying for just one, with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taryn,
    I am a friend of Kelli Dougherty's from Searcy. My daughter, Sarah Grace, was in her small group, during Kelli and Josh's time here. I wanted to follow your blog and let you know that I am praying for you.
    Stacy Featherston

    ReplyDelete