Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Korean Prayers

Commissioning Dec. 10 with Brook


As my body keeps healing in big ways, I cannot help but to think of how many people must be lifting me up in prayer. I have recently been given clearance for standing. I have to put on these huge black boots (not fashionable) and use a walker for balance. Despite the hassle of these things I'm so thankful that I'm moving forward. Also these past few days my legs have drastically improved. My right leg (which had a lot more trauma to it than my left) is strangely catching up with my left leg. Also, all of the sudden the swelling in my legs is going down. As far as my jaw goes, it's also healing well. This Thursday my metal archbands will be taken out, so it will be nice to have that extra room in my mouth! My neck is feeling better and sometimes it and my knees are tight, but those things are improving as well. I have some large scars on my face and knees, but these are the least of my concerns in the midst of it all. I'm pushing on to finish some training in March, so please pray that I can make it then!

When I was at training, there were two Korean couples. One couple was older than the other, and they hardly knew any English at all. I have no idea how they were attentive in class because sometimes even though I could understand everything my mind would wander. Before my accident I had only said hello to this couple because a conversation wasn't exactly an option. After my wreck when my mom and I were at the training center for two weeks, I had more interaction with the older Korean man than I had my entire training before.

The first time he came up to me was after a cultural worship on Sunday night. I had really pushed to be awake and strong enough to go and be with everyone. After the worship was over the man came over to me, laid his hands on my shoulders, and started to pray with power in Korean. Debbie, who was sitting beside me, took my hand, and I closed my eyes. The entire night had been so emotional for me because it had been the first time I had even had the chance to sing to God since my wreck. It was no surprise to me that after this man had finished praying that I had tears running down my face. Debbie looked at me and said, "I have no idea what he said, but I want him to pray for me!" When you hear someone pray with this kind of power, it's impossible to think that our God does not hear us or that he doesn't care. I had a good feeling that God was REALLY hearing my Korean friend.

Every time the Korean man would see me after this night he would stop my mom and me, and he would pray for us. Even though I would never know what he was saying he would touch his hands on my head, my knees, my ankles, and also on my mom's head and would intercede for us in such a way that we would always have tears in our eyes. Most times he would have to say Amen very loud for me to know he was done praying. His prayers reminded me that language isn't quite the barrier that we think it is. Even though I didn't know exactly what he was saying, it was more than enough that someone was taking the time to pray over my family and me. It challenged me to take the time to stop and pray for people in need. How many times does someone tell us that they need us to pray for something, and we don't take the opportunity to lift them up right then and there? This Korean man didn't even need me to ask for prayers; he just knew that I needed them and prayed for me. I know that these Korean prayers were heard in heaven, and that all of your prayers are also heard. I get to experience your prayers each day in the way that my body is healing. Know that our God hears us in the most desperate times. Love to you all and as always, let me know how I can lift you up.

Taryn

1 comment:

  1. 3 months later and the vision of this man praying for you still puts me in tears.

    ReplyDelete