Monday, January 11, 2010

Fierce Love

When asked to describe God's love many of us can think of some good descriptive words. We might say eternal, limitless, strong, perfect, unconditional, and many other things. We know what God's love is from experience, especially from salvation, and also from his word, the Bible. These past 7 weeks of recovery I have been able to see just the top of the ice berg of what God's love must be. And let me tell you, if this kind of love is just a small portion of what God's love is for us, then it's a love that I'm not sure if I can even comprehend.

One reason I feel like I can talk about love and truly understand it is because of the love I've been shown by my parents since my wreck. If anyone has met my parents you know that they are reliable, hardworking individuals who never do anything halfway. Not doing anything halfway also explains their love for each other and their love for my brother and me. The best way I can describe their love is that it is a FIERCE love. It's so fierce that they will do anything to protect the one they love, or they will do anything for the one they love.

When first hearing of my wreck one of my mom's initial concerns was that I would be asking for her and not understand why she wasn't with me. When I woke up Monday in the hospital bed not knowing what happened or where I really was, I never doubted in my mind that my mom and dad were going to be there. You see, when you've been shown the type of fierce love that I have been shown by my parents, you don't ever doubt them or wonder if they'll show up. You know they'll show up because that's what they do. And they do it as fast as they can. My parents have been relentless as they have cared for me. They rubbed my legs for hours in the hospital when my legs were cramping and hurting. They have held my hands and hugged me each night as they lift me up in prayer. They have been my cheerleaders and even the "tough coach" (whenever necessary) for me throughout all of this. All of these things hardly touch on the type of fierce love my parents have for me. It truly is a fierce love that I am so blessed to experience.

As I think about the fierce love that my parents have for me, I cannot imagine a love any stronger. Isn't it amazing though that there is a love stronger than all of that? It takes my breath away to even imagine that a stronger love could exist, but it does. Our heavenly Father has an even fiercer love for us. He does anything and everything so that he can be in a relationship with us. He is reliable and is always there for me. He is the healer and gives me relief in my pain. His word encourages me and spurs me on the the goal that is in sight. Since I know that this love exists that is even greater than the love that my parents have for me, I am humbled and I am required to share this fierce love and to tell people that it's their decision whether or not they accept this love or leave it.

Now if the love that God has given me through my parents is just a small taste of the love he has for me, why would I ever walk away from it? I can tell you that this is the love that carries us in the midst of our desperation.

He calls me forward,
Taryn

No comments:

Post a Comment