Thursday, January 7, 2010

To Handicap or Not to Handicap?

So as many of you are aware, my main mode of transportation has been my wheelchair. I have some VERY exciting news that today at my physical therapy it was my first time to walk! I walked with these big black boots, which helps so my ankles don't get injured. I also walked on just my feet, which was quite a bit more difficult because there's not as much support. The point is that I walked! (even though the walker is still my friend) I was so encouraged today and felt like all of this will come to an end soon. Last night we prayed for the winter weather to not come, so I could do the physical therapy and also get my archbands removed this afternoon. I knew it was going to be difficult considering my prayers were battling against thousands of students hoping for one more snow day. But... God is good and heard my prayers!

So besides the little walking I've accomplished this side of recovery, I'm in that wheelchair most of the time. Now when we have to have the car door wide open, so I can transfer from the passenger seat to the wheelchair using a slide board, I considered how nice it would be to not worry about another car parking next to us. The reason being because I need that extra room now that I'm in a wheelchair! With that said I was so excited when we visited my primary care physician, and he asked if we needed a handicap tag for the time that I'm recovering. As he asked this question I started nodding my head yes, and my mom started nodding her head no. Now because my mother and I are so close, I know exactly what was going through her mind. She was thinking about how people abuse those handicap tags that hang on their rear view mirror. Then you see someone who genuinely needs it, and they can't get a parking spot because of the handicap tag abusers.

Well I am hear to tell you that I'm indeed in need! Not only for when I'm in this wheelchair, but especially when I'm walking more. Now my walking isn't up to speed just yet. I can just picture it now if we don't have this handicap tag... Mom and I are going into the grocery. I'm moving slow. She tells me to walk faster, but faster just isn't an option. Then she gets angry. She should have used the handicap tag. Okay, so maybe this is just a dramatization. Mom wouldn't actually get mad, but it sounded good for the sake of my argument! And besides, it's only for a few weeks! All of this to say, that my doctor saw a need and helped the need. We now have the capabilities to get one of those temporary tags, and we will be using, not abusing it. So if you see me around town, and there's a little handicap person hanging in my window, don't judge me. I'm just trying to be resourceful during my healing! So when asked the question to handicap or not to handicap, my answer is loud and clear. I say handicap!

Love you guys!

Taryn

No comments:

Post a Comment