Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Divine Appointments

Last week my time in VA really gave me an extra push of energy. It gave me a lot more confidence knowing that I could navigate things on my own more than I thought! Last week was also such an amazing time of reflection and focus on the job that I'm going to do in Spain. God has continually showed me, however, that he desires for me to do that same job while I'm home. My mom has also reminded me of the many blessings I've received while being home that I would have missed out on had I already been in Spain: my friends at physical therapy, the continual outpouring of prayers from people, my new friends at the Hispanic ministry at my church. These are just a few of the gifts God has given me. He has also given me divine appointments along the way. Let me introduce you to some people I encountered on my way home from Virginia.

Meet Bob. I met him at 4:30 a.m. last Friday morning. He was the taxi cab driver who picked me up at the training center to take me to the airport in Richmond. Early as it was, I inquired about his time shift and some basic things about family. Even at this early time in the morning, he engaged in these questions and started quickly talking about his family and his job. He expressed a desire to move back to Saudi Arabia (where he lived for some time as a little boy). He said he was working on getting a job there hoping that an opportunity would open up. He also went into a long explanation about his high school aged son and his problems with girlfriends. Sometimes I could hear what he was saying and other times I couldn't because of the radio talk from other cab drivers. As we arrived at the airport, he got my luggage out of the trunk of the car. I thanked him, gave him the voucher for the ride, and told him I would be praying for him that day. A little shocked he looked at me while I asked specifically what he would like prayer for. He then said that he really wanted a "real job" again and was hoping something would come up soon. I then told him I would pray specifically for that.

Meet the man who I can't remember his name (bad, I know). He was on my first flight to Charlotte. He told me he was traveling for business and asked where I was from/why I was in Virginia. After lightly explaining that I had been in an accident and had returned to finish job training, he commented that he too had endured serious injuries at one point. He then explained that he knew he was still on this earth because of God. I agreed with him and told him that I knew God had kept me here for a reason. I told him that things like this aren't by chance. He shared more with me about his family, a wife and two daughters. He expressed his deep love for them and how much they enriched his life. After the flight was over he was more than kind enough to make sure I made it to my next gate without any problems. He even walked as slow as me. He blessed me that day.

Meet Jose. Jose was doubled over in pain because he had just had his appendix removed. The lady at the desk informs him of delays of his flights and tries to help him find another way home. I asked Jose about his surgery and told him how sorry I was that he didn't feel well. I shared with him how I understood what it's like to feel horrible. As I shared shortly about my accident, I then assured him that I would keep him in my prayers. He then asked if I was Catholic, and I responded that I was a follower of Jesus and that I believed everything the Bible says. He answered that he followed Jesus too. He then shared that he too had been in an accident where he lost his best friend. I then assured him that God has a plan for his life, and it wasn't an accident that he was still here. He agreed with me and shortly shared about some of the difficulties of losing a friend and doing a tour with the army over in the Mideast. I asked him how old he was. 23. Only a year younger than me, and a lifetime of pain and suffering showed in his eyes. He had different tattoos with dates on them. I wasn't sure what they signified, but I was certain that they were important to him. As we talked a little bit more I was able to ask him about his family. I overheard him talking on the phone in Spanish and inquired about his family history. He shared about how his parents moved to the U.S. The time came for my flight to leave. As I walked away I said, "Dios te bendiga." A little taken back that I spoke to him in Spanish he smiled and said, "Tu tambien." (for you non Spanish speakers, I said God bless you... he said you too). I prayed that he would feel the Holy Spirit with him all day long.

Meet Juan. He was on my flight to Little Rock. He is African American in appearance, but I later find out he is half Puerto Rican. He is 26, and until recently hadn't seen his father, who lives in Puerto Rico, for 9 years. He said when he was a little boy all he wanted to do when he grew up was be a good daddy. He didn't have that example growing up. As we sat there talking, he explained his outlook on life and expressed a deep desire to create peace around him. He had even changed his name from Juan to a name that means "king of peace." As he explained his ideology, I told him about the true King of Peace. He looked at me and asked why I was talking to him about religion. I then told him that in the same way that he desired to share a message of peace, I desired the same. Then I said that if Jesus and the Bible are truth, that means it's the absolute. There can't be other "truths." (look up truth in the dictionary, multiple truths would be a contradiction to itself) He then talked about how he believed that he was a type of god, and he could control the ins and outs of his world. I told him that he does have a choice about most of what goes on in his world. Then I shared how there are still things we can't control no matter what. That's where we turn to the true King of Peace. I then explain that Christ is the only one who can really establish a peace that will last forever. He contemplates what I say with no response this time. For this "king of peace" I'm sure the idea of establishing peace for forever is a very lofty, unattainable goal. I then shared some stories about Muslims who have never heard of Christ who dream about him and come to know our Lord after someone shares who He is. I also share about people who have lived in geographical isolation who have always searched for "something more." When missionaries tell them about Christ they respond to this truth and say that's it! I then tell him that there's no way to explain that other than that God is intimate and works in the hearts of people. Our God makes himself known. A little baffled by what I shared, it was evident he was still looking for answers. Our conversation remained calm while we listened to one another throughout the rest of the flight. I prayed that one day the King of Peace would be evident to him, and that Juan would recognize Christ is the only one who could give him peace from the hurts of his life. I also prayed that one day I would get to see him in heaven.

Walking out of the airport my mom is standing there waiting for me. I start to cry because it's been a big week and realize how the Spirit has been with me all day long. The Spirit had led me in these divine appointments all day long. Who am I to question why I'm still here in the U.S. when these are just a few of the divine appointments that have met me on this journey.

Following the King of Peace,
Taryn

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to hear that you are doing so well! I was in Virginia when you and Brook had your accident, and have been keeping up with you through your blog. How Great is our Father, who has been with you every step of this path! I am so proud of you...
    Ms. Sandra

    ReplyDelete