Time has gone by quickly. It wasn't too long ago that I was in a wheelchair and still very weak. Because I'm so close to "normal" I so easily forget the difficulties of what has now past. I still have some difficulties as I deal with patience and the disappointment of watching my 2 year term fly by me while I'm home recovering. God has gently reminded me of how much he spared me from, and it challenges me to think, as it always does, how faithful I would be to the Father if things had been different.
Almost 3 weeks after my accident, after I had been released from the hospital, we had to take me back to the doctors' offices for checkups. At this point I was still very week, with little to no mobility. It was a challenge to transfer me from my wheelchair to the car and back to the wheelchair again once we arrived at the office. My energy was very low, and everything in my head was still fuzzy from the medicine and from hitting my head so hard. As we arrived at this particular office, we rolled through the first floor. This was the area where people were getting prescriptions and it was overcrowded. As we waited for the elevator my mom had me parked in one spot. Oblivious to everything around me, a man in a wheelchair began talking to me. It was apparent to him that I had recently been in an accident because of the burns and bruises on my face and arms and how both of my legs were wrapped up and splinted. He looked over and said, "You know, years ago they told me I would only live a few years at the most after my accident. That's been 29 years ago, and I'm still going strong."
I didn't even have a chance to respond or process what he said before my mom commented back that his story was amazing and encouraging to hear. The thing is, he didn't know whether I was going to be able to walk again. All he knew was that he saw a sad girl who had been knocked around in an accident, so he offered up some encouragement. My mom later told me that he probably was talking to me because I was approachable. Everyday he lives his life at a different eye level from the rest of the world. Being in a wheelchair myself, I was at his eye level. I was approachable because I was like him.
Being in a wheelchair for 7 weeks before I even stood, and then in it for awhile longer because of lack of strength and balance, I understand what it's like to be on a different level from everyone else. It's easier to ignore people or not even engage in the world around you. You miss looking at people in the eyes, and they miss looking at you in the eyes as you pass them by. This man reminded me of this, and he also reminds me of the ways in which God sustains us. For this man he wasn't able to walk again, but God sustained his life. For me God granted that I have been able to walk again along with sustaining my life.
As I continue to face my heartache of not being in Spain yet, I know God calls me to patience and trust. I hope for a release soon, but I constantly face realities of things that are still a challenge physically. I am certain that God has called me to this job in Spain, and I am certain that I am still supposed to go. The rest, I'm not so certain of, but know this... God is the same and he is consistent. I rest on a regular basis in the fact that when he called me to this job, he knew this accident would happen. That being said I am required to continue to wait on the Lord. Maybe He just needed me to be on a different eye level for awhile, so I could have a deeper understanding of who He is.
I'll see the doctor Monday to see if I'm ready to be released. Recently my visa was ready, so I have that in my passport now. I'm ready to leave whenever the doctor says so and whenever the IMB releases me as well. Pray for God's timing and that I trust him no matter what. Please let me know how I can pray for you.
Following Him,
Taryn
I'm so excited for you to get the go-ahead, Taryn. I can't wait to see how God is going to continue using your life in Spain.
ReplyDelete