The end of June and up until now in July has been hectic to say the least! June 28th marked Brook's 24th birthday, so we celebrated with cake, balloons, streamers, and presents. Welcome to your mid 20's!
The 4th of July was fairly uneventful. I tried to see in the US embassy was doing anything exciting, but found no information. Funny how you realize what a big deal something is in the States and then here, people know nothing of it. That's okay though. I missed the fireworks that I usually watch at Kanakuk or being on the lake somewhere watching fireworks. So in a moment of patriotism I hung up a Spanish flag in Brook and mine's apartment. I know, I know... so wrong. But then again it felt so right. Just trying to assimilate!
Oh my word! The metro of Madrid is the lifeline of the city! Without the metro things slow down and are way more crowded. With my increasing knowledge of the bus system, I decided I would beat this metro strike and just take a bus... along with the rest of Madrid! So Brook and I had this bizarre experience of being on an overcrowded bus where no one was paying for bus tickets because no one could get to the bus driver to pay for them. We literally had no room to move. Luckily for Brook and me we were at the front of the bus near the driver. He took a liking to us foreigners and shared his lunch with us. He gave us some cherries to eat and also borrowed our ipod earphones to check out the tunes we were jamming to. After we got off the crazy bus, Brook and I just started laughing so hard. I couldn't believe I ate cherries out of a strangers hand! My dad would be so disappointed!
When there are meetings across from my apartment, I know they will strike!
Crowded bus!
There is this thing in the rest of the world called futbol. Not American football.... futbol! We would refer to it as soccer, but Americans love for soccer comes no where close to the love that the rest of the world has for it. Needless to say I caught the futbol fever over here and had an AMAZING time watching Spain win! VIVA ESPANA! The streets were chaotic and the day after the big win I joined millions (literally) of Spaniards in the streets to watch the CAMPEONES (Champions) be paraded through the streets. You just can't help but to catch the fever and sing all the chants like "Yo soy Espanol, Espanol, Espanol" (I'm Spanish) or "Si, si, si! La Copa ya esta aqui!" (Yes yes yes! The Cup is already here!).
Esther (another j-girl) waiting to see the Champions!
Rayos-X
Rayos-X is how you would say X-rays in Spanish. Just the little things you learn when trying to get x-rays for a new doctor here! My adventure in getting my rayos-x consisted of going to a hospital down the street from my doctor's office. I didn't need an appointment; you just show up and you are in line. I had some problems understanding the directions through the hospital for where to get these rayos-x. I finally got them, they gave them to me, and I asked where I needed to pay, and had a sweet lady escort me to the front desk. Poor guiri! (guiri is a nice word for foreigner) At the front desk I was then able to pay for my x-rays and then after this took the film to my doctor's office. Whew! Quite a bit of work when I got used to going to Dr. Young's office where they did the x-rays there and had them ready to look at on the computer immediately.
Update
Things are going well as I continue with so research and contact of evangelical churches and organizations in Spain. I finished my tutoring and was so glad to get this extra help with my Spanish. Still no news on whether or not I have compartment syndrome, but I am in contact with the medical team. Hopefully I'll be able to have a test done some time soon to confirm or deny if I have this issue. Your prayers have been felt to say the least. I've been all over the place with asking a bunch of why's lately. I'll continue to trust with a blind faith. All the more reason why I need continual prayers to push forward! Let me know how you are!
In Him,
Taryn
No comments:
Post a Comment