Watching the US/Ghana soccer game with Brooke- a new friend that interned here the first part of the summer!
The bear climbing a tree in Sol- this is the symbol for Madrid
Retir0 Park
Retiro park with a bench that says "Nobody is illegal"- random!
Brook, Brooke, and me on the metro
Why? Where? What?
There are several questions I am constantly asked by people like why I’m in Spain, where I work, and what exactly I do. Many times since I am talking to Europeans this can be a tricky question to answer. The word “missionary” carries a negative connotation here, so I choose another way to explain the work I do. I tell people I’m here in Spain to research information on Latino immigrants in Europe. I tell them the company I work for is out of the U.S. and that I don’t have an office building I go to.
This answer leads to many confused looks which allows me to further explain that the company I work for wants to help better peoples’ lives. Europeans seem to be okay with “bettering” lives. As time progresses, I can tell more about my job I am able to explain what this “bettering” of life looks like.
It’s tough because being outward and bold here is not about shoving the gospel in someone’s face. It very much is about relationships and showing that your life is different. I pray daily, even though I’m sinful, that the light of Christ shines through.
There are many things about me that are different from Spaniards. For instance Spaniards think it is so bizarre I don’t drink or smoke. I pray that they don’t think these differences are only moral preferences or because of legalistic ideas. I pray that they see past these differences into the change that Christ has made in my life. Please pray this with me.
Latino immigrants that I’ve encountered for the most part have been open in sharing their experiences. Some of them constantly face discrimination from the police and still feel as though they are not treated equally.
Please pray that these experiences will open up their hearts to our God who values us so much that he made a way for us to have a relationship with him. Please pray for a person of peace (someone open to the gospel) and for the team members trying to start churches among Latinos in Madrid. I will start traveling throughout Spain at the end of July to gather first hand information about immigrants. Please pray for people I encounter and for chances to share the Gospel.
Are you from Sevilla?
As far as language goes I am doing very well! I did a language evaluation this past week and my language coach, Julie Clifton, said I did well enough that I don’t need to continue with more language class (thank you mom for making me minor in Spanish!). This last week I met with a Spanish tutor, Luis, who is a believer. I’ll get to finish a few more language sessions with him this week.
I was very encouraged because Luis said there isn’t a problem for me in communication. I just need to work on details in the language. For instance in English we say “I like food.” In Spanish you always say “Me gusta la comida” which means “I like the food.” You can never leave out the “the.” These are the minor details I’m working on! On top of that I’m learning Spanish phrases or sayings. One thing they say similar to our “you’re pulling my leg” is “you’re pulling my hair.” These random things are fun to learn.
There are days where I feel like I’m conquering the language and other days where I wonder if I’ll ever get it! Recently Brook and I were asking for directions and a man asked us if we were from Sevilla, another city in Spain. I was excited because even though we have accents, he thought we were native Spanish speakers! Gotta love the little victories!
Physical Progress Update:
I have found and visited an English speaking doctor. He suggested that I begin more therapy and prescribed me some more medicines. The bad thing is that I had a reaction to one of the medicines. I’m okay, but please pray that I don’t have any more problems like this. I plan on blogging about my visit to the doctor and my adventure in getting some X-Rays, or Rayos X! You never know what vocabulary you need in a language until you are without it!
PRAYER REQUESTS
Legs– for swelling to go down/ no pain
Continued practice of language
For evangelical contacts– to help know about Latino populations in specific cities Barcelona, Burgos, Valencia, and Sevilla.
Memorization of Spanish Scripture
PRAISES!
I now have a doctor here!
Language is progressing
Let me know how to pray for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment