A Mad Dash to Valencia
Brook and I finally were able to travel this past month! We left August 10 for Valencia and did not return until the 1st of September. We were given the go ahead by our supervisor, Nolen, to buy tickets and find a place to stay. We did all this while facing the challenge that August was a vacation month, We finally found a place to stay and were off!
When we first arrived we didn’t know anything about Valencia except for the Latino populations of different neighborhoods. The first night we were there we went to one of these neighborhoods, and from this first evening it was obvious how the Lord provided.
On the street we were trying to find out if there was a Latin American restaurant and were asking people around us. All of the sudden a pregnant Spanish lady passing by started speaking to us in English! Most Spaniards don’t speak English so we were very glad to have someone to communicate clearly with. I explained to Lorena why we were there, and she then told us to go to her mother’s church and that they could help us. She then explained that she no longer went to church because she had been “naughty,” but she knew this church helped with immigrants.
That next Sunday Brook and I went to that church to be met almost immediately by a man from Florida. He and his wife are missionaries in Valencia and work with an evangelical organization called Misión Urbana. Through them they connected us with a Venezuelan pastor who spoke perfect English because his wife is from Britain and he studied there for many years. WOW!Through these contacts we were able to learn about Latinos in Valencia and to learn about the evangelical situation there. The reality is that Spain is lost and many of the immigrants moving here are lost.
At one Colombian bread place we visited regularly, we were able to get to know a man, Orlando. A few days before we left he told us that his daughter is Jehovah’s Witness, and he believed this was the same as evangelical Christians. We were able to tell him that this wasn’t true, and we gave him information that explained the differences. The missionaries we met from Florida said they were willing to follow up with him. The exciting thing is that Orlando was very open to this. Please pray that he comes to know the truth.
The Pain of Growing
During the trip, Brook and I faced many difficulties of places being closed because of summer vacations, and a lot of days that felt like we were aimlessly walking around. Many times we would strike up conversations with people on the metro to ask about their lives in Spain in comparison to their lives in their home country.
Even though the Lord provided in such a huge way, I regularly felt frustrated and worn down. Most of this was because my legs were very tired each day, and I just couldn’t walk for hours each day.
To follow up with my previous doctor from July, I had a 2nd opinion on the 2nd of this month. This doctor does not seem to think that surgery is the best option right now and suggested that I continue with some more therapy for 2-3 months.
Waiting for this doctors visit was very hard for me because I knew that surgery could change my job or end it. The other tough thing is that I’ve had to realize that I need to keep creating healthy boundaries for myself, so that I can be productive in this job and so that I can experience less pain.
My team has been a huge source of encouragement as have you guys. I really am thankful for the prayers and feel humbled by the way that the Lord continues to let me be here despite all the bumps in the road.
Many times I wonder if I’m making any difference, and I have to stop and realize that it’s not about me changing people’s lives. The Lord does that. I’m assuming God’s putting me through a season of a lot of growth because I’ve encountered a lot of physical and emotional pain over these past months. Pray that I do grow and that I remain faithful to the call God has set before me. Growing isn’t fun, but it’s necessary for us to become more like the One we praise.
Prayer Request
Legs– for swelling to go down/ no pain
For Orlando and Lorena-that they may know truth
For preparation for the next trip to London at the end of this month (quick turnaround!)
PRAISES!
New therapy and no surgery for now!
Please let me know how to pray for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment