His story is not unique. But it's his story, nonetheless. And I have been impacted for the better because of it. I humbly introduce you to my Indian friend, Joseph. I have given him this name because his story parallels that of Joseph in the Bible.
Brook and I accidently left the key in the room one evening in Rome. Oops... so down we went to the reception where Joseph was sitting. After telling him our dilemma, he had to get out a box of keys and rummage through them to find the spare to our room. I could tell he was a little frustrated, but I did my best to be polite and thankful for him helping us out. I opened our room then ran back downstairs to return the key.
"Are you Christians?" Joseph asked. I was a little surprised at this remark, and I told him that we were. He gave me a quick synopsis of his life. He was raised in India as a Roman Catholic, but now he is not religious and does not know what he really should follow. He said he used to read the Bible, but not anymore. I encouraged him to read the Bible again, because it has truth. He then said that if I wanted to I could come back down and talk with him, because he'd be there working all night. I smiled and left. Then the Holy Spirit started a burning in my heart.
Parker, Brook, and I had our end of the day meeting. Before we prayed, I told them about my conversation with Joseph. I shared that my heart was heavy for him and that he asked if we were Christians. Parker then admitted that he had said in Hindi to Joseph that God loves him. Open door. I told them that Joseph invited us to go down and talk. We were all exhausted from that day, but as we prayed the Holy Spirit kept urging me to go down and talk with this man.
I made a deal with God awhile back. It was to be obedient when He tells me to be. Not to delay my obedience, but to boldly go forward. During our prayer time I could not physically remain still because I knew what I had to do. Excuses come so fast. It would be weird and inappropriate for me to go down alone and talk to this Indian man. What in the world do I have in common with him to allow me to share truth with him? What do I even say to initiate the conversation?
Our prayer time ended. I sat for a moment then I almost ran out the door out of urgency. As unsure of myself as I was, He was telling me to go. If I had to go alone, then so be it. This isn't about me. As I stood at the top of the stairs preparing for my descent, I pondered the best way to initiate the conversation. My breathing sped up, and I started to take my first step. Then I looked to my side, and Parker was there. All smiles. "You going with me?" I asked. And he said yes. So down we went. Thank you Lord for sending a friend.
Joseph was pleasantly surprised at our coming down to visit with him. I awkwardly said that the things he said to me earlier interested me, and I wanted to hear more about his life. And hear about his life is exactly what we did.
He shared how in India he had a wife, son, and a good job where he was a supervisor over others, but an opportunity came up. His brother was in Rome and wanted him to come and serve as a partner with him. He felt like it was a great opportunity, left behind India, only to be mistreated by his own flesh and blood. He explained that his brother treated him like a slave. Wanted him to only do the dirty work and not actually be a partner in business. His brother wanted to keep him from learning Italian so that Joseph could not find other work. Just like Joseph in the Bible, money was more important to his brother than Joseph was. So he treated him badly and more or less sold him into slavery. This is not uncommon among immigrants. There is hope of making more money, having a better life, and making something of yourself that you can brag about back home. But then they are faced with reality, and it is anything but those things they thought it would be.
He finally broke away from his brother, and found work in restaurants and in hotels. He said at one restaurant the owner commented that his belly was too big, so he fired him. Later when the owner said he was just joking, Joseph refused to return. He said his dignity was more important to him than money.
Despite initially following money or the opportunity of to Rome, Joseph rejects money as the most important thing there is. Throughout our conversation he kept saying money is power, and you need money. But when he shared his actions with us, he always chose integrity and character over the money. It costs him, but he did it anyways. His own brother abused him, but he refuses to be like his brother: a greedy lover of money.
Joseph went on to tell us about his wife in India. How they had difficulties in their marriage. They had gone to marriage conferences to try and fix things. He says he still stays in contact with her, but speaks more to his mother than his wife. She tells him to return home where she can take care of him, but he's weary of her. In the past she has lied about him. She at one point turned him into the police saying he was abusive, even though that was not the case. He went on to explain that he, while they were engaged, went out of his way to buy her a house even before they were married. He said, "Ask any Indian! They would not do that. But I did that for her." It wasn't enough because she was hungry for more money, and more power. Like Joseph in the Bible, he was deceived by a woman, even though he was trying to honor and respect her.
When it comes to character, this man wants to uphold it. As we were talking about his job now, the graveyard shift at the hotel, he told us about how hateful his boss is. He said that the hardest thing for him is lying. That sometimes he must lie about the quality of the hotel rooms in order to keep business, even though he knows the rooms are not as good as they could be. I was shocked as his eyes turned very red. Then came the rain. Tears flowed as though we were trusted friends. He said that it hurt his heart to lie and he did not want to do that, but his work depended on it. Choosing integrity and character always costs us. And I saw the pain in this man's eyes because of the value he put on the right things, instead of the things of this world.
Parker was able to share a little bit with him about how Christ had changed his life. Joseph listened a little bit, but remained cautious. In the end he gave us his email, and EVEN gave me the email of his wife. He said maybe she needed to hear the things that we were telling him. I was stunned as he handed me this free pass to communicate with this woman. I asked him if he still loved her in spite of the wrong she had done to him.
Then I saw it. It started in his eyes as a spark then turned out in a smile. He said he still loved her even though she had wronged him. I asked him if there was anything I could not say to her. He said I could tell her anything because he's an open book, but that I could not tell her that he loved her. He needs to know first that she wants him for who he is.
I have not seen a love like that in a long time. To be treated so poorly by someone, but to still have an unconditional love? Isn't that the kind of love our God has for us?
It got me thinking. When I saw the spark in his eyes, I thought to myself that I hope to find someone who loves me like that one day. Then God started showing me that I already have that love. That He passionately cares for me. I am His bride. I am His beloved. He has not left me once. He continues to seek me out even though I spit in His face. This is the love I desperately desire. God used Joseph to show me that He is enough for me. He loves me like that. With a spark in His eyes and smile on His face. I am His. There is no other love like this. My life was changed by the story of Joseph. All that was required of me was to be obedient in a moment when the Holy Spirit beckoned me to follow on an adventure. And the rest was history. He moves my world and shows me that He is at work, even in the life of an immigrant whose world has fallen apart. An immigrant willing to share his life, and let us share life with him.
Somewhere in the recent events of my life I had forgotten that God's love was for me. I knew it in my head, but my heart had forgotten. We equate our life situations with whether or not His love is for us. I look at Joseph of the Bible as a perfect example of this. It appears that God has checked out. But no. He did not leave Joseph even though it seems He did. He has not left my Indian Joseph either. So this night in Rome, Italy I fell in love. I fell head over heels in love again with my Savior. I remembered who I am to Him. I am the apple of His eye. Cherished as I am. I am His and He is mine. I cannot ask for more.
Pray for Joseph. Pray that he returns to God and he too can experience this unconditional love. Thank you, Joseph, for reminding me of this love that exists. As you show it, I pray you realize you can receive it as well.
His Bride,
Taryn
Taryn! Your heart is always such a sweet inspiration to me! Thank you for this story and reminder of His love for me.
ReplyDeleteI sure do think you are awesome!
love you, janna