Sunday, July 17, 2011

Reclaiming My Life

The past year and 8 months of my life has been about one thing. Reclaiming my life. My world has been changed. My body most definitely and in the process my heart, soul and mind have been impacted as well. While we were in Milan, one day I started running a little bit just being silly. I've done this on and off since I've been able to walk, but this time it didn't hurt quite as bad. The thought passed through my mind that I'm getting close.

This has been all out war. There have been battles I have fought less valiantly than other. And there have been some battles that I'm not even sure I've won. Tonight I went into war. And tonight I took back part of my life. Tonight I ran.

Now before you get an idea in your head of what my running is, let me humbly explain it to you. Before the accident I had been doing interval running. I had worked up to running for a good amount of time. So I decided to begin where I had started off. Running for 2 minutes, walking for 3 for a total of 15 minutes. Now to you guys who do the math quickly, that's only 6 minutes of running total. But for me it was like winning the war. I went in aware of the costs and I waged against the enemy, my own body.

I have been waiting and pushing for this moment. I can't say that it was glorious. I can say that fear sprang upon me as I kept urging myself into the jog, but I kept hesitating. Fear of what others would think came to mind. Gosh, I'm so slow and awkward at this. Fear of how I would pay for this physically the next few days passed through my head. Fear. Then I told the fear to shut up and I ran. I ran while my injuries that I had thought were so far away now pestered me reminding me that they are still by my side. I ran to prove to myself that this life belongs to me. God has spared me for a reason, gifted this life to me, and while being obedient to him, I'm claiming it. And I'm running with it.

An old Spanish lady even cheered me on at one point! I put on my best face when I passed the outdoor cafes full of people. My breathing didn't even affect me since my knees were challenging me every step. Telling me to stop. I didn't care what they said because I had something to prove. I did it. I am conquering my world. I will not stand by. I will not let this beat me. So onward I go. Onward with His leadings. Onward into the world. The stake's just got higher. But haven't they always been this high? It will cost us everything, but I challenge that it is indeed worth it.

My body is my slave. I will use it until the day I die to share the most beautiful story that there is. I want to leave this world with a worn out body that has used every ounce of its energy.
There is the one true God. He loves us. He desires us. What more could we want? Let's run.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.  No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Taryn! I didn't know you wrote so eloquently and passionately! Your mom shared your blog with Amy Johnson. I was creeping on facebook and decided to check it out for myself. And, am I ever glad I did! You go girl! SO proud of you...your commitment to Christ and the "war"! Praying for you...
    Mary Vitro

    ReplyDelete