Thursday, July 28, 2011

July Update

 No explanation :) The three of us working hard!
 Wash day in Milan- all the machines were broken except the end two, so we used the rest as seats
 A tram with lights
 Vatican City
 Bronze Hog in Florence-there's a replica at U of A
Trevi Fountain

If She Doesn't Dance With Me I'll Die Anyways

Manuel has the freedom that we as Americans do not have. Interesting statement since we pride ourselves of being from the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Manuel can share the Gospel and does so unashamedly at his work. Not only with co-workers but with the customers at the Peruvian restaurant where he works in Milan, Italy.

He has only been a believer for 8 months, but his world has been changed for an eternity. After a strong encounter with the Lord, he has seen time and time again the Lord move in his life.

So his burning in his heart overflows into his life. He wants others to know about Christ, so he does exactly what we all should be doing. He tells the story of Christ to everyone he encounters. He has even shared the Gospel with a drunken man outside the restaurant one night and told us that this man fell into his arms crying after Manuel told him that God loves him.
The night we ate at Manuel’s restaurant there was live music and dancing. We were the only non Latinos in the restaurant, so naturally we stuck out a little bit.

One man who had been drinking a little too much, after being encouraged by the singer, came over and asked me to dance with him. I politely refused, but he harmlessly kept on.

Manuel interceded and began to tell this man about the love of God and how one day he’d die and he needed to know where he was going.

Cleverly, the man stated, “But if she doesn’t dance with my I’ll die anyways!” Manuel persisted and finally the man sat back down.

This is Manuel’s mission field. He goes into work to face people who disagree with him or think he’s crazy. However he refuses to stop sharing with them. He gets to do what we as Americans would get in trouble for doing in the work place.

As we were leaving a man approached Parker and asked if a man who followed God could be a smoker. Manuel had shared with us that this was a struggle he was still having.

Parker told him that we all have things we are working on and no one is perfect. Pray for Manuel as he faces persecution from his co-workers. Pray that he grows strong and continues seeking the Lord passionately. And pray that he boldly proclaims truth to those around him. Pray for him to no longer struggle with smoking. What a challenge and example to me!

Someone Else's Legs

I always ask God to see miracles. I desire daily to see his hand move through events in my life or around me. My trip to Italy was no different as I begged him to show me who he is and his power in my life.

I am better than I was a year and 8 months ago. So much better. But my body, much to my surprise, is still healing. I still have swelling and pain finds me. The swelling isn’t as bad as before and neither is the pain, but it remains. I knew as I faced Italy that these two things would slow me down. I couldn’t stand the thought of going slow, so I pepped talked myself into pushing forward and begged for God to show my body mercy. And he did in such a huge way.

We walked, and walked, and walked some more. At the end of each day my legs would be swollen and they would hurt. Each morning, however, the pain and swelling would disappear.

There would be times that Brook and Parker would ask me how I was doing, and I, much to my dismay and embarrassment, had to tell them I needed to slow down. They were gracious and patient with me.

Like I have shared before with you, I have very clear moments when I know you are praying. I had a similar experience in Italy. There were moments where my legs were done. I was done, and I didn’t think I could go anymore. Tears would come to my eyes.

Then my world would slow down, and it felt like someone was stepping into my legs. It felt like someone would start to walk for me. It literally felt like I was walking in someone else’s legs.

There is no other explanation than that God was with me, he is with me. He’s letting me see and experience his miracles. His power is truly the most beautiful thing there is. He loves me. He loves you. He never forgets us. I’ll walk forward with the legs he’s given me. There’s too much work to do to slow down.

Prayer Requests

For the Trailblazer team– preparation for Germany-August 9-23

My legs-swelling to be minimal/ for my tendon to not be painful

For our friend who sometimes stays the night with us

For my friends who help me at therapy

My friend who is an immigrant in a new country but continues to go to church and Bible study!

Manuel and the other immigrants we met in Italy

Praises

God’s provision during Italy

Rest before Germany

My continued improvement

Return of the Clifton’s from their stateside assignment (they are on the church planting team here)

2 comments:

  1. We just finished our 8th camp and we have two more to go. God has been moving in hearts in spite of us! Thank you Lord. I love reading your blog. You are so uplifting and I love how God has guided you in His ways. Praying for you as you finish this term out. Love you
    Verna & Ted

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you pray, pray for the next camp. It is for Hot Spring students going into 5th and 6th. Pray for counselors, cooks, all volunteers and the campers as God is ready to touch their lives. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete