Some people try to argue that Christianity is a religion that imprisons people to a certain way of thinking. Some people also say that Christianity is just a list of dos and don'ts that are legalistic and have no heart behind them. Some people when they think of Christianity they think of a loss of freedom. Without the right knowledge, a lot of these things would appear to be correct.
The good news is... these things are incorrect and proven wrong over and over again by lives full of freedom and abundance in the name of Jesus Christ. Have you ever felt so guilty and oppressed by something you've done wrong? Have you ever had a sleepless night where you wonder if there's any freedom from a dark feeling you have? I know I have, and it's no fun. There's also no physical way for me to find freedom from this feeling.
The good news again... I have found a freedom in Christ that is indescribable and isn't just a made up feeling to cover up the real pain. I don't think you can just think away or mask pain like that. I do believe that God is the great comforter that knows that the burden of sin and wrong we experience is too much for us. We can't handle it. Thus the restless nights, and yucky gut feeling when things aren't right. I'm not saying that things are perfect when you are a Christian, but there is a peace and a deep understanding that we do not carry the burden alone.
By our belief in Christ he takes away our sins. Now, I wish that this means we could forget everything we've done wrong, but sometimes we can't quite shake every memory this side of heaven. The great news is that God's word promises that when we repent he forgives us. Romans 8:1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Now that refreshing to my spirit! So many times I run to this passage and am reminded of the grace that I'm undeserving of. This leads to the next question of why does the Christian life demand so much? I think one thing to consider is that the commands God gives us is not to hurt us. His commands are meant to keep us out of the sin that entangles and keeps us awake at night with a restless spirit. Freedom from this is more than I can comprehend, but I'm blessed to experience it. So are we really talking about Christian imprisonment here?
Ask those around the globe who believe in Christ and are murdered, ostracised, and persecuted for their faith. Do they think it's worth it? Do they feel freedom? They claim that it is worth it, and they do feel freedom. When you think of paying that kind of price for your faith, it makes it seem pretty easy for us to believe here in the comfort of our U.S. lives. What freedom are you in desire of? Freedom to do whatever you want or freedom to rest in an indescribable peace only through Christ?
Please pray for Brook's visa information from Spain. For some reason it didn't make it, so the process is slightly delayed. Love to you all!
Love, Taryn
No comments:
Post a Comment