Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Why Aren't There More Faces On the Map?

The other evening here at training, we had a mapping ceremony. This ceremony consisted of all of us standing up placing our faces on a map to show where we are going and sharing prayer requests. In the midst of these prayers and people standing up with their children, I was so moved by the commitment being made by these saints. People are going with infants, multiple children, and children with special needs. Needless to say it was pretty loud for most of the time because of the presence of these little ones. Through the noise I was quickly reminded of the sacrifice that these people are willing to make. I was also reminded of the sacrifice many other people are willing to make, but they don't have the opportunity to go because of finances.

As the ceremony ended I looked at the map and realized how empty the map looked. I thought why aren't there more faces on the map? I think there's a lot of reasons for this, but ultimately I believe the issue is when people are willing to go and funds don't exist we have a problem. How frustrating is it that people are willing to pick up their lives, more elsewhere, make the sacrifice, but they can't go because a sacrifice isn't being made by the church to send them? I'm not frustrated with anyone, but I am frustrated with myself because I am part of the body of believers. I'm frustrated that I haven't been a sacrificial giver, and I never realized it until these past few months. When have I ever gone with out grabbing a Starbucks coffee, eating out, or clothing whenever I wanted it? The answer to that is never. Sacrificial giving isn't giving out of our excess. It's giving that we can feel, and it affects us. That's why it's called sacrificial. It means that we have to rely on God for our needs instead of our bank account.

I don't want anyone to take this as a stab at the church. Because of you and many others there are over 5,000 people overseas now with the IMB, and I am HONORED to be one of them. I do hope it is taken as a challenge, because there are more people that want to go. Let's send them! This is such a challenge for me. It's a necessary challenge, because if I'm a Christian who believes the gospel is the most important thing in the world, then it should revolutionize my life. It should also revolutionize my bank account, because it's an essential investment. I hope I am revolutionized for the good news.

Love you all!
Taryn

Just FYI I love reading the comments!

3 comments:

  1. AMEN! Great thoughts - and very challenging! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN AMEN AND AMEN! Go Taryn. This is so true. Sometimes we need to say things to shake others up - who will know if we do not say something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taryn, I don't know you but I am Holly's pastor, and I just might use this in a message someday. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete